They pretty much adore me :)

Tuesday, March 30

Let me speak hood to you..

Yo.


Hello Lovelies. Today was absolutely wonderful. I mean I am still suffering through my withdrawals...but today was just beautiful. I’m in a REALLY good mood...but for some reason I still feel like ranting about something. If you don’t like to read my shit talking...move the fuck on...Ok? Anywho, My cousin and I were having a conversation. He told me that I had changed...turned into a "white girl" since we moved out of his "hood". Of course I’m like what the hell? Skin check...Still looks brown to me. He said that the way I talk makes me white. He said “You’re from the hood...so where the fuck you get that shit from? I talk like this cause I’m from the same place as you...and this how we talk." Um, excuse me? So because I grew up in the hood I'm supposed to have a certain vocabulary? I hate when people use "growing up in the hood" as an excuse for their choice of dialect. Ridiculous if you ask me. I don’t think that because you grew up in a certain area that you should dumb down your whole demeanor to fit in with them,Make up dumb ass words and say it in a dumb ass slurred tone...Nope. That is not a sufficient argument. Talking as if you’re illiterate is not an option for me and should not be to those in the hood. When has that every been a good excuse for anything?


..And then I’m fake because I grew up in the hood and talk like I have some damn sense? I mean what the fuck am I supposed to sound like? Like I have very little education? Like all I have going for me is street smarts? No thanks I don’t want to be one of the ratchets. One of the bitches you listen to and try to decipher what the fuck she is talking about. Nope...that shit is for birds! It doesn’t take much to add subjects and verbs in fucking sentences. It doesn’t take much to pronounce a word correctly. And it never hurts to expand your vocabulary. White girl my ass...I speak like I’m educated. Yes, I have something to prove...I don’t like people looking at me and thinking I'm just another dumb ghetto bitch when I open my mouth to speak. Ughh, this type of conversatin always bothers me. Because at the end the other person always argues that I think Im better than the hood..from which I was made. & I know better..I just would like others to do better! Feel me? lol...Toodles!

 

13 comments:

NightFall914 said...

Hope ya cuz loses that way of thinking.

sunshinestar110 said...

smh..I got that you talk like a white girl now stuff when i moved beyond the hood....I love where i come from and wouldn't change it for the world i just can't and won't get caught up in the hood mentality that some people have. Its about being able to conduct yourself in the real world.

Anonymous said...

I feel you! I get this all the time. Hopefully your cousin grows up & out of this way of thinking. There's no point in being in college & sounding like you haven't passed high school!

ps. Love the new header!

Bubbles said...

I like black girls that can speak good English.
why should you let your background define you?
makes no sense to me

SailorWifey said...

I've never lived in the hood so I've always been the "white girl" or "the confused one." It use to irritate the hell out of me...like what was I suppose to do wake up one day and tell my parents can we please move out of the suberbs so I can make other black people feel comfortable. I'm proud of the way my parents raised me (in this instance) and the way I choose to raise my sons...everyone else can get the fuck over themselves.

♥ SailorWifey

Myne said...

I admire people who do not allow their background to define them or their abilities. We can not all be the same and there should be no such things as sell outs or traitors or whatever.

F said...

I totally understand your frustration. It's sad cos it shows that it's not only other races who look down on us, but our people look down on themselves as well. The assumption that speaking properly is inherently against black culture screams low self esteem.

VonDign said...

most def its like people want you to be stuck in the same hole they're in. they'll try to shoot you with their words if they see you climbing out

Ro said...

Missed your thoughts....
I too have been accused. They even gave her a name. "MBA Ro" lmao
I could give a shit. I'm me...

SinfulLyo said...

lol i had this same convo with my cousin's bf. he questioned how i spoke and my choice to wear Ugg boots. i asked would he prefer if i spoke like a hoodrat and wore Jordans...he had no response. now i just ignore stupidity like that. knowing how to form a complete sentence makes me white? cool beans.

SinfulLyo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LoVe.Peace.Curls. said...

I've gotten this all my life, and it's crazy that family members are the usual suspects in this case... I just learned to brush it off, because they can go around carrying those ridiculous thoughts if they want, but the amount of money spent on education should at least be reflected in the way we speak and express ourselves. I'd hate to think those 12 years of English and language arts were in vain! ♥

Beauty in Rare Form said...

I wish I could post this on my FB page for all my happy-to-be-dumb ass cousins to see. I mean these females are proud of being illiterate and all that goes with it and it really gets under my skin. Even worse is the dudes they attract! Just keeps the cycle going. SMDH!

Like Sunshinestar, I've been accused of "talking white" too, on numerous occasions. I'm just like WTF am I supposed to sound like??!! We are supposed to evolve, right? and not succumb to become products of our environment? Wow.